Monday, July 6, 2009

when goose comes i'll be anyway

you know how lyrics can get kinda tricky? oh not for you? just me who can not understand a lyric to save her life? well as i sing along to my ipod, i realize how few lyrics i get right. they sound close but still not quite right. here are some of my famous ones and a few of my favorite wrong lyrics:

the real lyrics: "how my poor heart aches with every step you take"
my version: "i'm a pool hall ace with every step you take" (even though i know the real lyrics, this is still what it sounds like to me.

next, from the little mermaid (my sister loves this one and made fun of it for one whole vacation): "the men up there don't like a lot of blabber, they think a girl who gossips is a bore yet on land it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word, after all dear what is idle babble for"
my much better version : just replace blabber and babble with glamour. so chic. ps my lyrics never make sense.

from brant
the real lyrics: "hold me closer tiny dancer"
brant's version: "hold me close, i'm tired of dancing."
now when i hear tiny dancer, these are the lyrics that sound correct to me.

from koley
the real ones: "by this shall man know, ye are my disciples"
kole's version: "by this shellamenno ye are my disciples"
my favorite part of this is that she asked her mom as an adult with children what a shellamenno was!!!! hahahaha

brown eyed girl:
them: "hey rodorigo"
me: "hey where did we go?"

here is one where i had almost all the lyrics wrong. eraure's star
them: " we go waiting for the star"
me: " we go out for the saaaaa"
them: "not a satellite of love but a laser shooting out it's tiny tongue there"
me: "not a sano white of love but a laser shooting out a tiny thunder"
them: " in who's hands are we anyway?"
me: " when goose comes i'll be anyway"
and it goes on and on

there are more. maybe it should be a weekly segment. does anyone else have some funny ones? i can't be the only humiliated one here.

13 comments:

J said...

Megs, it's not about what you hear it's about what you FEEL! Here's one for you.

Actual: Let freedom ring, let the white dove sing...

Matt: Let freedom ring, let the white dog sing

And, when we went to the Martina concert he said, "Hey maybe we'll hear that white dog sing tonight."
Haha!

Jackson said...

this is one of my very favorite things about you, sweet meg. I giggled all the way through your wrong lyrics examples. and i am tremendously excited for your visit to the promised land. hooray for eleanor, who is a precious as her name.

Anonymous said...

you mean it's NOT "hey where did we go"??!!! i am astonished!

um, how did you ever forget, "oh life is holy"? you know, from that spiderwebs song?

can't wait to see you. can't wait to see baby eleanor. can't wait to see the rest of the clan. yay!

aniC said...

i thought it was "hold me close young tony danza" (ok, maybe that is from friends.
BUT that one song that is actually: hush hush, keep it down now, voices carry...
i thought was: hush hush, keep it down now, this is scary.
i know there are tons more, just cant remember at the moment.

Sara said...

My big one: Steve Miller Band:

Big Ol' Jet Airliner
Big Ol' Jed Left the light on

I never could figure out what Jed leaving the light on had to do with being on an airplane...

Dave said...

and how could we forget?

Toto version: Its gonna take a lot to drag me away from you.
Theres nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do.

Preferred version: Its gonna take a lot to drag me away from you.
Theres nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do.

and . . .

Love is a Battlefield -or-
Love is a Ferris Wheel

Marnae said...

Megs, my true fave is ...
Dixie chicks "except for maybe you, and your simple smile."
Megan "and step on great big you and your simple smile." and from my children
The Shins "..So I took your licks at the time."
Henry "..so I took your lips and your tongue."
Abba "Mama Mia here I go again, my my how can I resist you?"
Max "Mama Mia here I go again, my my why do i exist him?"

Elle said...

now that Erasure song is stuck in my head and I can't think of all my funny ones!!

Robyn said...

Actual: I wanna lay you down on a bed of roses, for tonight I sleep on a bed of nails.

Me: I wanna lay you down on a bed of roses, for tonight I sleep on daffodils.

ArringtonZoo said...

Oh goodness! I have always meant to look up that Erasure song because to this day I have not known the lyrics until reading your lovely blog. Here's mine: "shooting out a tiny tumner" And "whose skins are we anyway?"

Unknown said...

Tear stained cheeks...tear stained cheeks. Ade's post made me think of the other part of Spiderwebs...

Actual: No matter who calls, I screen my phone calls...

Yours: No matter who calls, I scream my bones out...

And let us not forget one from dear Joe:

Actual: Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Joe: Are you going to starve an old man?

So glad you are documenting these...

PS. It seems that everyone who hears my version of Tiny Dancer laughs first, then only sings it my way forever after.

Annie said...

Hilarious

Actual:And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away. It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me. You, you, you oughta know

Me:And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away. It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me. You, you, you oughta know

Try it out, it is fun and fits right in and make things that much more full of angst and resentment!

Annie said...

Correction --

Me: And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away. It's not fair to deny me
Of the CROSS-EYED BABY that you gave to me. You, you, you oughta know