Wednesday, January 16, 2008

dear olan

I remember as a teenager thinking olan mills was the place to get photos taken. it was so sophisticated and their photos were so beautiful. did anyone else feel this way? we never went there because it was too expensive so we went to the tres chic jc penney studios. but i remember in jr. high, my friend linnea got to have her portraits taken there with her sister and they were so beautiful. i really wish olan mills was still around and that my tastes in photography had not changed so much. here are some beauties for your viewing pleasure. for instance, olan mills does some great family shots. what prepubescent girl wouldn't want to be in a picture with her nude brothers? not awkward at all. this one captures every personality trait in the family...even the craziness shines through. raw talent olan, raw talent.
i wonder if olan mills did the make up on this lady. if so, it is AWESOME!


pedophiles are welcome too!
i like this snazzy couple. mustaches and a mullet mixed with jewel tones?......exquisite!
this one shows the drunk and sober sides of this gentleman.

i just liked the mullets here. mark has cut his hair into a mullet and so this is how i envision his future portraits to be.


seriously? why would you do that? there are enough greedy money grubbers already. i don't think they need to start this young.

and this is my favorite of all. not really. many of you know that i do not have a fondness for horses lying down. well, check out the background of this lovely senior picture. SCARY!!

18 comments:

Shanna said...

WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE PICTURES???? ha ha ha thanks for a good laugh (correction: a few good laughs) today :)

aniC said...

i also thought that olan mills was THE coolest place someone could get their pictures taken. however, my family went the route of using a traveling photographer who would set up shop at the local piggy wiggly or wal-mart.

Joy said...

I remember hearing about Olan Mills. We didn't even have JC Penney's photography by the time I was in high school. Now though, Vernal does have Wal-mart photography. Yes!

Aaron said...

Most of these pictures look a bit dated, but I saw a little boy here in Idaho with a mullet down to his butt. No lie! It was so funny! I think I may have even thrown up in my mouth a little bit at the time.;) J/K

Shelley said...

hilarious.

Marnae said...

Oh Olan Mills and our youthful dreams of them turning our seemingly plain selves into high-fashion models. thanks for the walk down memory lane. Thank goodness we now have Matt to help out the cause. Remember Mike's combination Adam's apple and mullet. Now that is quality photography

M. Elle Ehrlich said...

Wow...those people are super attractive. I hope one day I too can be photographed so flatteringly. This is why I'll never be anything more than a mediocre photographer...because I'll NEVER get to the gold, nay platinum standard of OM...Fin

M. Elle Ehrlich said...

Also, 10 points to Gryffindor for the use of the phrase "Jewel tones"...

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with mullets?

Mauri said...

If you'll recall, Sher used to work for Olan Mills. Her and her friends would always take silly pictures together. Good times!

ArringtonZoo said...

Meg, I just have to let you know that of all the blogs I frequent yours is the one that brings me the most joy. I always laugh until tears come to my eyes and wish in my heart that I could be as funny as you, but alas, I am just me.

K-Lo said...

I am like 5 degrees away from actually knowing you (I am Meg Vest's far-away friend Katie, who missed seeing you in UT by a few days), but I found your blog through hers and these pictures were so hilarious that I had to say hello. So, hello.

Anna Linnea said...

So...... is my Olan Mills picture not as beautiful as I had always believed? Remember the one Mark had taken with Pepper!!!!! Oh that one is a true classic! As yes, it was Olan Mills!!!!

The McLaughlin's said...

You are quite the comedian. Hilarious!!! Good work Miss Megan.

Mauri said...

As much as I love Olan, you are way over due for a new post. Get on that would you!

Dani said...

most of my kiddie pics are from Olin Mills. I want to make copies of some of them but I can't find a store to get a copywrite from. do they even exist anymore???

Anonymous said...

I have the most awesome picture of all though! Ben's cousin paid the big bucks to Olan to have his portrait taken with his pheasant. His live pheasant. Cue the banjos.....

pilgrimchick said...

Wow. Really. If this is the best place to get your pictures taken, I am really curious what the worst is.