Thursday, April 16, 2009

reflection

i have a secret shame. well it is not really a shame i guess because i am owning up to it right now in a most public way.. i love to listen to country music. but i pretend i am too cool for it and i am not sure why. i don't think country music is necessarily nerdy but i think there is a stigma that goes along with it. anyhow, love it or hate it, i listen to it occasionally when i am alone in my car and by listen i mean full blast singing my heart out like i am the best singer anyone has ever met.(ps. i am.) well tonight i was driving a little way home and had my music blasting and i got to thinking because country music does that to me and i was thinking about my love life or lack thereof in the past
i was thinking about my first boyfriend and "missionary". man i loved him but was NOT the nicest of gi
rlfriends. i was catty and bratty and caught up in myself he came home a wiser man and realized it and chose another girl over me. as far as i know they are doing great and are a great little family and i am so happy for them but at the time i thought i was going to die. i thought nothing could be worse. but country music go me through it. the dixie chicks in fact.oh man i needed them.
my next love was a friend i had had since sixth grade. i was sure we were meant to be together and he was the greatest thing. i thought we were perfect for each other and so did tons of other people.....except him. i was also immature and our communication was absent. it took a long time for me to get over him. YEARS!!!! but i did it and he is still one of my best friends in the whole wide world and i miss hanging out and talking and i miss his family. in my years of getting over said friend, country
music came through for me. it was my shoulder to cry on when i was frustrated and sad and lonely.
my next love was another good friend and i was shy and reserved and insecure and things were not that open but oh we had some fun times and i still laugh aloud at the things we have done. he is great and i miss him and our escapades. ilove when we finally talk after months and it is as comfortable as always. man alive, but a broken heart.... guess who came through...country music.
tonight as i was driving, i was not frustrated or sad. i was happy and even a little sappy and i listened to some of the cheesiest lyrics around (come on admit it country fans) and i totally identified!!! i even got teary eyed as i thought of my little love waiting at home for me. he is perfect for me. and i sometimes feel a little lame that i am 30 and just barely married because in my culture that is a little strange but i am so glad i found him and he get me and loves me as i am with all my faults and foibles. and laughs at me when i am being hilarious even when no one else thinks i am. and reaches out to find me in the night and packs me
a lunch and folds my underwear and millions of other unglamorous things. i love to come home to him. forever. and force him to listen to sappy country music with me once in a while. good old mark.

18 comments:

Anna Linnea said...

Love the picture. You and Mark are definitely meant to be! I have to admit that I kind of like country as well. Hello! Honkie tonk Bar Association!

Shanna said...

Take your man to the Keith Urban concert when he comes into town. Or go find him when he comes to a town near you. Best. Concert. EVER. :)

Matthew Selman said...

you should never have admitted this.

Mauri said...

I LOVE country music! And I am not one bit ashamed to admit it.

Dkole said...

Damn that is about the sweetest thing ever.

Marnae said...

The best part is you know all of the words, ie "...and step on great big you..." I love you. You are my country music.

Anonymous said...

Your secret's safe with me.

I'm ready for your novel to be published. How is that coming? You are such a great writer, comedian, wife, sister, friend . . . oh . . . and country singer.

Julia said...

I am also a closet country fan. What a sweet tribute to Mark, and a completely freaky picture at the end.

Darci said...

I like you guys!

Tyanna said...

i like this. you and country music? it is so unexpected. listen to "indian outlaw" by tim mcgraw...you can be marks' chippy-wah. cause you are one of a kind.

Candace said...

K--wanna hear my "secret shame"? I totally blog stalk you!!! I found you about 2 weeks ago on Marnae's list, and am soooo glad I did. I get a seriously good belly-laugh at your posts! Some day I am going to really sit down and do this thing up right-- (that means go through all your "oldies but goodies").

I want to hang out with you and your sis next time your back in our ol' stompin grounds. We'll cruise around in "The Boss", turn the country tunes up real loud and heck, I'll even let you sit bitch.

What'ya say?
p.s. don't tell Norm I said that:)

ArringtonZoo said...

Ahh jeese! That was tender. Can't agree with you on the country thing though Meg.

ArringtonZoo said...

o.k. so there is this ONE song. It's Garth Brooks I think, but it doesn't really count because it's an Irishish song. Love it. Can't remember what it's called but you'll have to Google it or something.

Candace said...

So I just got done reading the post entirely dedicated to making fun of emoticons and realized I am a bonafide L-O-S-E-R.

Totally embarassed and lame.

Jamie said...

That picture cracks me up - I love your extra pointy nose in it. :) I'm so glad country music has really come through for you...kind of like an old friend.

Brenda said...

You two are too cute! I'm glad HE found YOU!

Brenda Bales said...

Hell Meg, Get off your damn horse and send a new blog..... Love your guts. Brenda

mAtt aNd TaMaRa sMith said...

wow... I think this is the first time I have looked at your blog since Tamara and I wanted to see your wedding ring. wow... cheesy lyrics, yes. It did make me smile thinking of my older brother Marky being cute and sweet and stuff. I just have a hard time seeing him that way.